This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not being allowed to work a scheduled shift Florida

I work in a resturaunt and it is the slow season. I am scheduled to work, but when i show up they tell me to sit and wait for it to get busy enough for me to clock in so i can actually work and get paid. I dont think this is legal, but i dont really know what the law on this is. Can anyone help me out or tell me what i should do please?

If your employer has you physically at their place of work, that is generally hours worked. It seems you can't use this time effectively for your own purpose but must at all times be ready to act when work becomes available. This would usually be considered "engaged to wait" & the inactive time considered hours worked.

Fl. doesn't have a DOL so to speak. I would try filing a wage claim with the federal DOL & let them investigate.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

http://www.hrhero.com/benefits/tip-on-call.shtml
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

This isn't really "on-call" since you're already there. Here is the FLSA regulation that applies.
        http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.15.htm
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I have a reference (in loose leaf binder) that notes it's another form of "on call" - you're scheduled to work but have to wait until you're called on to do any work. In the meantime you're "engaged to wait." It's not what we normally think of as on call though I agree.

I couldn't bring up your link when I posted late (was going to post it). It said DOL site under construction at the moment & link not currently available.
          I did note it's "engaged to wait" & payable time. (which my link also notes) The one I went ahead & used mentions on call, engaged to wait & waiting to be engaged.

Thanks for the link usually used. I couldn't get it earlier.
          Last edited by Betty3; 12-14-2009, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Betty3, in all my years, I've never heard of this being referred to as "on call" before; in any case, it's not "on call" as far as the FLSA is concerned.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Other than one reference, truthfully, I haven't either. The info in my binder is written by employment lawyers (that might explain it ) & HR experienced personnel.

If I could have brought up your link, I wouldn't have used the one I did that is a link on "on call." However, it did mention that OP's time would have to be payable (engaged to wait) - it explained when you are engaged to wait. I probably should just have skipped a link & went with my post only. I don't call it "on call" either but just used that link due to its explanations re payable time.

Anyway, in my opinion, time should be payable.

Comment

Agreed, and Patty has the right regulation cited. More importantly, FLSA is a 1938 law, and the 1944 Skidmore v. Swift court decision basically nailed down the related rules in this area. The cited regulation basically is a response to that court decision, not the other way around. This is VERY well established law, and Skidmore is about as well known a FLSA court decision as there is. Pretty much any court decision on hours worked tends to cite Skidmore.

The feds have an "on call" regulation but that is a different regulation. The entire 29 CFR 785 "part" is worth reading because collectively it is the rules for determining what are hours worked.

From the regulation Patty cited, the following is all taken pretty much as is from Skidmore:

In either event the employee is unable to use the time effectively for his own purposes. It belongs to and is controlled by the employer. In all of these cases waiting is an integral part of the job. The employee is engaged to wait.
                "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I agree with you & Patty - I sure wish I wouldn't have used that link & just went with my post.

Comment

Working...
                  X