This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question -Exempt Employee Florida

I am an exempt (salaried) employee. I work at a tourist resort attraction in Florida. Summers, I work 12 hours a day, 7 days per week on an average. Yet in the winter we slow down. I have not been able to take a vacation in 3 years for the fact that during our slow season (now) my boss lays off the front desk and concierge personel and schedules the salaried employees to work the front desk so that he does not have to pay the hourly employees. (I might be able to understand this better if the jobs were even closely related as far as duties go but an example would be our Chef issuing keys at the front desk, or our administrative persons cleaning rooms-completely different job duties)
    I recently pointed out that I would like to take a week off as come January 5, I will be working every day (7 days per week) 12-16 hour shifts until Early April. He has stated that he will not and does not have to give me time off before that, that is why I am salary and that this is legal in the state of Florida.

Is it?

It is solely up to the employer to approve or not approve vacation requests.

Not exactly your question, but during the "slow season", do your job duties change to primarily nonexempt-type tasks?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I am unsure but believe so. Is there some sort of list to tell this? During slow time, I go from highly trained executive work to "something a school-age child could do" bosses words, not mine.

Comment

http://www.dol.gov/whd/fact-sheets-index.htm
        Scroll down to the selected fact sheet for the classification your employer is using to justify your exempt status during the high season.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X