X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ellie123
    started a topic No Breaks allowed Florida

No Breaks allowed Florida

Does an employer have to give 15 minute breaks if working an 8 hour shift. I do get a 30 minute unpaid lunch, but I also thought an employer in Fl. is required to give at least and additional 15 minute paid bread if working over 7 hours. Is this required?

• cbg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    & I even wrote the President suggesting cbg.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Originally posted by cbg View Post
    But until some enlightened future president sees fit to appoint me Secretary of Labor, we're stuck with the law as it is.
    He didn't call you?

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    Fl. only requires that minors (14-17) be given a 30-min. break if the minor worked for any 4 hr. stretch.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Neither Federal nor Florida law requires that you be given breaks of any kind. Not meal breaks, not rest breaks, not smoke breaks, no breaks at all. If you are getting a 30 minute lunch break, you are getting more breaks than the law in your state requires. Regardless of the length of your shift.

BTW, with the exception of certain hotel employees in IL, NO adult employees of private employers anywhere in the US are entitled by law to 15 minute breaks twice a day. A very small handful of states (I believe it was 6 last time I counted) requires two 10 minute breaks for an eight hour day, but the 15 minute mandatory break is one of the biggest myths of employment law.

Do I think this is a good idea? No. I would make the 15 minute mandatory break law if it were in my power, as well as 30 minute lunch breaks (which are also not required by Federal law or by the laws of many states). But until some enlightened future president sees fit to appoint me Secretary of Labor, we're stuck with the law as it is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X