X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yenda Ford
    started a topic Florida

Florida

In December 2008, I resigned my position of 23 years as the Human Resources manager at the Miami Job Corps Center in, Miami, FL. My husband purchased a home about 100 miles from my place of employment, thus prompting me to resign and relocate. I filed for unemployment and was denied. I want to appeal this denial but I don't know enough about case law in these matters. What grounds could I possibly use to get a reversal of this denial?
    Last edited by Yenda Ford; 07-30-2009, 12:02 PM.

• Betty3
    replied
    jinx, cbg

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Truly? There aren't any.

The following is taken from the FL UC commission website:

If an individual voluntarily quits, a disqualification must be issued unless you can prove good cause for leaving. The law provides that good cause may only consist of a cause attributable to the employing unit, illness or disability of the claimant, recall by the claimant’s permanent employing unit within six calendar months of a temporary termination or the military transfer of a spouse.

Buying a home too far away to commute is not listed as a qualifying reason; nor is following a trailing spouse unless it is a military transfer.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    There are only a few states which accept quitting a job to follow a "trailing spouse" as a valid reason to collect UI benefits.

These are the good cause for leaving reasons Fl. considers: If an individual voluntarily quits, a disqualification must be issued unless you can prove good cause for leaving. The law provides that good cause may only consist of a cause attributable to the employing unit, illness or disability of the claimant, recall by the claimant’s permanent employing unit within six calendar months of a temporary termination or the military transfer of a spouse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X