This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida

In December 2008, I resigned my position of 23 years as the Human Resources manager at the Miami Job Corps Center in, Miami, FL. My husband purchased a home about 100 miles from my place of employment, thus prompting me to resign and relocate. I filed for unemployment and was denied. I want to appeal this denial but I don't know enough about case law in these matters. What grounds could I possibly use to get a reversal of this denial?
    Last edited by Yenda Ford; 07-30-2009, 12:02 PM.

There are only a few states which accept quitting a job to follow a "trailing spouse" as a valid reason to collect UI benefits.

These are the good cause for leaving reasons Fl. considers: If an individual voluntarily quits, a disqualification must be issued unless you can prove good cause for leaving. The law provides that good cause may only consist of a cause attributable to the employing unit, illness or disability of the claimant, recall by the claimantís permanent employing unit within six calendar months of a temporary termination or the military transfer of a spouse.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Truly? There aren't any.

The following is taken from the FL UC commission website:

If an individual voluntarily quits, a disqualification must be issued unless you can prove good cause for leaving. The law provides that good cause may only consist of a cause attributable to the employing unit, illness or disability of the claimant, recall by the claimantís permanent employing unit within six calendar months of a temporary termination or the military transfer of a spouse.

Buying a home too far away to commute is not listed as a qualifying reason; nor is following a trailing spouse unless it is a military transfer.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

jinx, cbg
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X