This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asked to Sign a Letter of Resignation Florida

Hello, I live in Miami, Fl and have been employed in the same company for close to 4 years. Iíve been requested to sign a letter of resignation. About 2 months ago I informed my bosses that I was unhappy with my job and pay and would like to seek a change within the company. They said there was nothing they could do for me and that I was free to look for another job. Now they have hired somebody to replace me and asked that I stay on board to train them until a certain date. They have also offered to pay for 2 additional weeks of pay. Now they are requesting a letter of resignation. I stated in an email to my immediate boss that I will not be signing a letter of resignation as they requested. Would I be denied unemployment benefits if I write that letter? I would like to leave on good terms, but need to protect my self.

Quite honestly, since you are the one who went to your employer and said you wanted to leave your current job, you could conceivably be denied unemployment benefits whether you sign that letter or not.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Didn't resign

I went to them to ask if changes could be made to my current position or if there was another position within the company, is that the same thing as saying I wanted to leave? I didn't think so. I was speaking clearly about dissatisfaction, not much more. Is that grounds for the denial of benefits?

Comment

Originally posted by lulilu View Post
        I went to them to ask if changes could be made to my current position or if there was another position within the company, is that the same thing as saying I wanted to leave?
        It could be/might be interpreted that way by the state when they decide whether you get UI benefits or not. You would have to apply for benefits & see what the state decides - it's their decision.

You did tell your employer you were unhappy with your current job & wanted to seek a change.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I'm not saying I think your benefits WILL be denied. I'm saying that on the facts, it's a toss up either way.

I can't see any benefit to you, to signing the resignation letter. There's no point in making it easier for the state to deny unemployment. I just don't think you should take it for granted that as long as you don't sign the letter, unemployment is guaranteed.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
          X