This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTO Buy Out Florida

I have a quick question about a PTO buy out. My last day at work was in May (I was laid off). I received a paycheck after I left, covering my last two weeks at work. Yesterday I received another paycheck, representing my PTO buy out. I only had a few hours -- it would have amounted to about 100 dollars -- not much, but considering the lay off -- it would have been nice.

They used that money for my health insurances (all of them) as though this were a regular pay check. When I called, I was told that they give us health insurance for 30 days until COBRA kicks in (not what we were told when we were laid off - we were told 2 weeks, but that's par for the course).

Is this legal -- to use my PTO for health insurance? I feel like saving any PTO was a mistake

TIA,
    jan

In your state, they are not required to provide any kind of buyout for unused PTO. So it's quite unlikely that any law prohibits them from using that money to extend your health insurance.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Figures! Thanks for the answer, it's good to know.

I guess I'll spend those 15 dollars wisely

Comment

Working...
      X