This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEREAVEMENT PAY Florida

What is the requirement by law for an employer to pay at time of bereavement? (How many days, if any)

Originally posted by voodoo View Post
    What is the requirement by law for an employer to pay at time of bereavement? (How many days, if any)
    I don't believe there is any such requirement. Many employers do offer this benefit however.

For instance at work, my benefit plan allows 3 days for family and 5 days for spouse or child. I have seen some people use FMLA as well (non-paid) because they needed to work out care arrangements for their other family members when they lost a primary caregiver.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoo View Post
      There is no such requirement.

Nor is there a requirement for companies to provide holidays, vacation or sick leave.

Some companies do, some don't. Employees, given an offer between one that does and one that does not, get to make a choice.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

And Scott's answer is true in all 50 states.

With a few state-specific exceptions for voting and jury duty, there are no circumstances in which an employer is required to pay a non-exempt employee when they do not work, and an exempt employee does not have to be paid when he/she takes full days off for personal reasons.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X