This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Child overnighters?

I want to accept a job offer but I am 17 years old.
    Its a shift from 11 pm to 6 am which works with my schedule.
    My parents have agreed to let me take the offer, but does state law allow it?
    As for school, I take all classes at college because I have already completed my high school requirements, but am "technically" still enrolled in a high school. I'm looking desparately for a loophole. Help!!!!

Originally posted by DNA
    I want to accept a job offer but I am 17 years old.
    Its a shift from 11 pm to 6 am which works with my schedule.
    My parents have agreed to let me take the offer, but does state law allow it?
    As for school, I take all classes at college because I have already completed my high school requirements, but am "technically" still enrolled in a high school. I'm looking desparately for a loophole. Help!!!!
    According to the Fair Labor Standards Act:
    Youth 16 or 17 years old may perform any non-hazardous job for unlimited hours.

As long as you aare in a non-hazordous position you should be ok. What state are you in?
    Sue
    FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

I'm in florida.....
      It is a non hazardous job. A dispatcher for a taxi company. Its all phone work.
      16-17 year olds are not supposed to work between 11 pm and 6 30 am on school nights if they have school.....
      But I have no high school, only college classes. and the schedule does not cause any problems or conflicts
      Last edited by DNA; 08-23-2004, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DNA
        I'm in florida.....
        It is a non hazardous job. A dispatcher for a taxi company. Its all phone work.
        16-17 year olds are not supposed to work between 11 pm and 6 30 am on school nights if they have school.....
        But I have no high school, only college classes. and the schedule does not cause any problems or conflicts
        OK, here are the exceptions:
        Minors are exempt from the hours restrictions of the Child Labor Law if they have been married,* graduated from an accredited high school or hold a high school equivalency diploma,* served in the military, authorized by a court order,* or been issued a partial waiver by the public school or the Farm and Child Labor Program.
        Did you graduate or have a GED? Id so, you are exempt from the restriction.
        Sue
        FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

No I have no diploma or GED, I could ask for my diploma today and they would give it to me because Ive finished my required courses, but I want to walk with my graduating class, so they are holding on to my diploma until MAY.

Comment

Florida

Florida restricts the hours that a person who is 17 years old who is still in school can work. They are prohibited from working 11 p.m. to 6:30 a.m., before a schoolday. Since you are in a unique situation, where you have completed school, you may want to discuss it the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Child Labor Programs at 800.226.2536. According to their website, you can apply for a partial waiver.

The website information can be found at:
            http://www.state.fl.us/dbpr/pro/chil...alwaiver.shtml

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
            Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
            www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

time limit???

My son is working for a fast food company and they have him working until 1:30am. He is attending his GED program which he goes Mon thru Thrursday until 9:00pm. They have him working on Sundays until 1:30am. He is sixteen years of age.

Is this legal? My wife has already expressed to the manager that she did not want him working that late.

What legal options do I have???

Thanks,
              Law2747

Comment

Minor Working Late

What state are you in? Much of the hours to be worked by a minor is dependent upon state law.
                Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
                www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
                X