This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious holidays and time off for Delaware

I am a full time employee for Amazon.com, and they are having us work on Easter Sunday. I really would like to take this holiday off for both religious and personal reasons. Can I take this day off without getting any points. (We get points for taking days off, and at 6 points we are fired.) I do not expect to get paid for the time lost, but are their any laws on my side to get the day off? :

Possibly. But leave the personal reasons out of it; they have NO legal obligation to give you any day off for personal reasons. You MAY be able to use religious reasons but personal ones won't cut the mustard.l

The law says that an employer must accomodate religious beliefs WHEN POSSIBLE. That is NOT a guarantee. IF there is a way that they can reasonably accomodate your desire to have a religious holiday off, they must do so. But they do not need to create a hardship for themselves and they do not need to disaccomodate other employees.

In addition, you've left it pretty late; it's already Holy Thursday and you're only just now getting around to asking the question? It may already be too late for them to come up with an accomodation for you.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Religious leave - ONLY IF Employer told ahead of time

My understanding of Federal Law (and state) notes that if you are a person of faith (be it Jewish, Christian, Muslim, whatever) and you explain that to your employer when you were hired, they must give you the time off. Without pay of course.

Even if you change your faith, or the level of devotion to it, if you start having observances, you have to notify your employer in advance that you have to participate in a religious observance.

The bad side to this is it may cost you time off, and/or no pay. But they cannot fire you on it if they knew from the beginning.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. Just someone who's "Been there, done that"

Comment

cbg's answer was the correct one. If possible.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Yes...and no...

To quote "Jewish Law - Law & Policy"
          Federal law requires an employer to "reasonably accommodate" an employee's religious observances, practices and beliefs unless the employer can show that accommodation would cause an "undue hardship" to the employer's business.

What constitutes "reasonable accommodation" and "undue hardship" depends on the facts unique to a particular situation. Essentially, an employer must attempt to create a structure permitting employees to practice their religious beliefs while still maintaining their jobs. In some cases, accommodation may not be possible. However, the employer bears the burden of demonstrating that a serious attempt to accommodate the employee was made.
          See Also: Religious Accomodation [Jewish Law - Law & Policy]

Comment

Please do not reply to old threads - this was started 2006. Thanks.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I just wanted to point out that it is not an absolute requirement that the employer accommodate every request for time off for religious holidays and observances, as skelton seemed to imply.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Patty, I understand - I knew that. I wasn't really talking to you - I should have addressed skelton by name. He really shouldn't have started a post here in this thread.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                X