This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer refuses felon attend treatment program

I have a problem and need some insight on how to resolve it.

I am a felon on probation and required to start a treatment program. I have worked for my present employer for about 10 months. I explained the times and day in which the program runs. One day a week for 2.5 hours away from work. I work second shift and the program is at night. There are no other options for day-time program hours, and no option for moving to day-shift.

My employer states he cannot allow me to take time off from work to attend the program, citing that he has a business to run and production quotas that need to be met. (Which I can understand)

Is this legal? If I don't attend the program I am in violation. If I don't work, I am also in violation.

.....now for the other shoe....

I have been at odds with this employer for skipping over me for other position openings of which I was qualified to apply. One in particular I have him by the gonads on. I am in the process of getting the Union to address the issue.

I feel it is the attempt of the employer to have me quit. Considering that two others who work the same shift as I do are not told they cannot leave work for the program.

Presently I have left messages with my PO, The Union, the counselor who runs the program, and sent a inquiry letter to a local lawyer who specializes in labor.

Any suggestions - other than to find another job? Is this a case that should be brought to court? Is this legal, if required by my PO, and the employer had full knowledge of my status on probation?

Thanks.

quote skelton - "Presently I have left messages with my PO, The Union, the counselor who runs the program, and sent a inquiry letter to a local lawyer who specializes in labor."

Since you have contacted all of the above, I would hold & see what answers/suggestions you get from them.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Are you asking whether your employer is required by law to give you time off to attend the program? No, he is not.

Are you asking if your job is protected if you take the time anyway? No, it is not.

Are you asking if your employer is in violation of any laws? No, he is not.

It is possible that your union might offer additional protections, but as we have not read your CBA we can't know that from here. However, as far as the law is concerned, this is between you and your employer, and the law is not going to protect your job while you attend the program.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

You noted there are two others who work the same shift & are not told they cannot leave for the program. This would not be illegal as long as you aren't being discriminated against due to a reason prohibited by law (ie, religion, race, gender). However, there may be something in your union contract regarding allowing all employees time off to attend these treatment programs - we don't know.

I would still hold & see what you are told by the people who you have contacted regarding this.

Is this an alcohol and/or drug treatment program or some other type of treatment program?
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X