This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delaware pay reduction

I am pretty sure this is legal, but thought I would check.

Two months ago my husband was given a 4% pay reduction and an increase in medical premiums, deductibles, co-pays, etc. We were told in two months they would re-evaluate and hopefully he would return to normal pay. Well, the two months is up, and now they have informed employees that there will be an additional 6% decrease in salary. For the indeterminable future. Now, we are so grateful he has not been laid off, but as you can imagine, a 10% pay cut is painful to the budget.

Assuming this is legal, can he apply for unemployment benefits to compensate for the lost 10%, or should we just suck it up and continue to be grateful for the work? Obviously, we do not want to upset his employers.

Thanks!

An employer can reduce pay so long as it doesn't bring the employee below minimum wage and it isn't for hours that have already been worked. Employees can apply for unemployment when wages are reduced, but I suspect that a 10 percent reduction may not be steep enough to trigger unemployment.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

I agree, I "doubt" that a 10% decrease in pay would qualify for partial UI benefits.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks. I did not figure, but the 10% hurts, so I figured no harm in asking. Ugh. I am looking forward to better economy times! (Me and thousands of others I am sure!)

Comment

Working...
        X