This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales Commissions Due Connecticut

I worked for a staffing agency (draw against commission) and was closing deals until the day I resigned (that was my job after all).

The pay structure was such that clients typically would not pay their bill until the new employee had been there for 30 days. We would not get paid for 45 days after that.

I'm now told that even though I was responsible for closing the business that since I left and the cash hadn't been collected yet, that I'm not due ANY of the commissions.

I was expecting commission checks in excess of $20,000.

Is this legal??

thank you in advance!

Did you have a pay plan or contract that spelled out how payment was made? Was there a handbook that spelled it out?

Comment

They said they are supposedly sending me something - I don't remember ever signing / reading / acknowledging anything though. The only thing I signed was a lengthy non-compete that doesn't mention it.

Comment

This is the only thing I could find in Ct. re payment of commissions on termination - it's
        between a sales rep. & principal & with a contract.

Sec. 42-482. Termination of contract between sales representative and principal. Payment of commissions due. Failure to pay. Civil action. (a) In the event a contract between a principal and a sales representative is terminated, the principal shall pay to the sales representative all commissions (1) that are due on or before the effective date of such termination, by the date specified in the contract or thirty days after the effective date of termination, whichever is later, and (2) that are due after the effective day of such termination, by the date specified in the contract but not later that thirty days after such commission becomes due under the terms of such contract.

(5) "Termination" means the end of the business relationship between a sales representative and a principal, whether by the principal or the sales representative, or by operation of the terms of a contract.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
          This is the only thing I could find in Ct. re payment of commissions on termination - it's
          between a sales rep. & principal & with a contract.

Sec. 42-482. Termination of contract between sales representative and principal. Payment of commissions due. Failure to pay. Civil action. (a) In the event a contract between a principal and a sales representative is terminated, the principal shall pay to the sales representative all commissions (1) that are due on or before the effective date of such termination, by the date specified in the contract or thirty days after the effective date of termination, whichever is later, and (2) that are due after the effective day of such termination, by the date specified in the contract but not later that thirty days after such commission becomes due under the terms of such contract.

(5) "Termination" means the end of the business relationship between a sales representative and a principal, whether by the principal or the sales representative, or by operation of the terms of a contract.
          Thanks Betty3(?) I appreciate the reply and effort to look it up. I'm not a lawyer but from reading this it doesn't apply. It seems to address when that "final" check it due and not specifically what is due which is more of what I was looking for.

Comment

This is going to be a very soft answer. State handling on commissions is all over the place. As in states do not agree on much of anything. Your state is not my state, and I have no idea what CT law, regulations and court decisions on this subject is.

Past that, IF there is a written contract/policy/whatever, the government will likely take a close look at that. Assuming that the government actually cares about commissions in the first place.

This is not an easy question. You need someone who is actually expert in CT commission law, which I am pretty sure excludes everyone on this website. You might need to talk to a local labor law attorney who is knowledgeable about CT commission rules. Or alternatively,file a small claims court action. It works or it does not.
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thanks DAW. I'm waiting for my former employer to send me a copy of the document before having an attorney review my claims.

Comment

Working...
              X