This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different severance by location? Connecticut

I understand that an employer providing severance is not required. Some of my coworkers have suggested if one employee loses their job and gets severance, others should get the same level of severance unless there is a detailed severance policy stating otherwise. We have a new parent company and our CT location is being told we'll get one week per year while other divisions (NJ, OH) are getting up to three weeks per year. From reading some other posts on this forum I assume this is legal, but wanted to double check. Our HR department says that severance is a divisional/regional thing.

Thanks!

Since severance is usually not required, companies can set whatever policy that is deemed appropriate as long as it does not violate discrimination laws.

It could be something as simple as one division is more profitable and can afford to pay additional severance.

Comment

Right, "working in the CT office" isn't a protected class, but you might also want to make sure there isn't a disparate impact on one protected class.

Like if almost all the CT employees are in one ethnic group, and the NJ and OH teams are mostly all from another ethnic group, then someone could claim discrimination, even if the company didn't intend to discriminate against a protected class.

Hey HRinMA, you have a wanna-be twin on LLT. Someone took a name almost like yours.

Comment

Thank-you for the quick responses!

Comment

Originally posted by TSCompliance View Post
          Right, "working in the CT office" isn't a protected class, but you might also want to make sure there isn't a disparate impact on one protected class.

Like if almost all the CT employees are in one ethnic group, and the NJ and OH teams are mostly all from another ethnic group, then someone could claim discrimination, even if the company didn't intend to discriminate against a protected class.

Hey HRinMA, you have a wanna-be twin on LLT. Someone took a name almost like yours.
          TS, I assume no one could actually file a claim until the severance was offered or paid out. Until then no discrimination has occurred.

I did see my almost twin. I will take it as a form of flattery that my name is so cool

Comment

Working...
          X