This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working in extreme heat? Connecticut

my husband does landscaping for a living and isnt allowed to wear shorts or sleeveless shirts which he is fine with but it will reach extreme temperatures and he is told he isnt allowed to go home. at what temperature is it too hot to work?

Legally there are none. OSHA publishes guidelines employers should, emphasis should, follow but they do not have hard and fast requirements. Lately CALOSHA has been cracking down on heat related injuries, mostly in the Agriculutural areas. These violations are often cited under the 'General Duty' clause.

Keep hydrated and as cool as possible.
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

I bought cooling bandanas for some of employees exposed to extreme heat. They cost about $3.00 each. May be worth looking into for your husband. They really do work well.

Comment

I live and work in Arizona and can tell you there is no magic number on the heat.

Now on the flip side....if there was a medical condition that was being worsened by working in the heat (or extreme heat) he may (big may) be able to get some reasonable accomodation for work, but I wouldn't count on it being much help. And it is a big maybe.
        Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Working...
        X