This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work more than your schedule shift Connecticut

Can you be force to work longer than your schedule shift? (Is this legal or not)

Almost certainly. Most employers can require most employees to work almost any hours the employer wants. Obvious exceptions include airline pilots, long haul truckers and minor children.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by rb1 View Post
      Can you be force to work longer than your schedule shift? (Is this legal or not)
      Yep. And you can be disciplined up to termination for not doing so.
      Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

With very few exceptions for minors and industries with a public safety factor (such as airline pilot and truck driver) you can be required to work as many hours as the employer says. A very few states have a one-day-of-rest-in-seven law; only two states limit the number of hours an employee can be required to work. CT is neither of those states and 60 hours a week would be well within permissable range in both of them.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

This is only a part time job, so there will be no PMS for it.
          But what I want to know is, if I finish my schedule shift and the manager decide that I have stay until every body else finish. Do I have to or can just punch out and go.

Comment

This is only a part time job, so there will be no PMS for it.
            I have no idea what you mean by that.

But what I want to know is, if I finish my schedule shift and the manager decide that I have stay until every body else finish. Do I have to or can just punch out and go.
            If you punch out when the manager told you to stay, you may lose your job and it would not be a wrongful discharge. Whether or not you could qualify for unemployment is an issue that the State authorities would decide. If you had daycare issues, they might side with you. If you simply wanted to go home, they probably would rule against you.

Three posters said that you could be required to work beyond your scheduled shift and none said you could not be required to do so. Why did you ask the same question again?
            Last edited by ScottB; 10-18-2007, 09:54 AM.
            Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The PMS part if for Moburkes remark. Please no PMS about your situation.

Why I ask the question again? I was not to sure about the answer that I got from the forum.

They ask you for you availability so you give them the days and the hour that you are available.

So this is why Iím confused with the answer and this is why I ask the question again.

And Thank you for the help.

Comment

Oh, that's just her signature line. Sometimes posters like to PM responders about their problems, and her signature is just a general request to not do it to her.

Comment

Why I ask the question again? I was not to sure about the answer that I got from the forum.

They ask you for you availability so you give them the days and the hour that you are available.

So this is why I’m confused with the answer and this is why I ask the question again.

And Thank you for the help.
                  PMS is premenstrual syndrome. PMs is the plural of private message.

That was funny. I was trying to figure out what the heck it was, too.
                  Last edited by moburkes; 10-18-2007, 10:26 AM.
                  Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by moburkes View Post
                    PMS is premenstrual syndrome. PMs is the plural of private message.

That was funny. I was trying to figure out what the heck it was, too.
                    I get it now.

I hope the OP now understands that if the boss says stay, you stay OR risk losing the job.

I thought that was clear, but apparently not.
                    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X