This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming laws Connecticut

I am a salary employee working for a family business. We work from 7am to sometimes 8 or 9 pm in season. The father requires everyone, including the salaried employees to work every Saturday in season but we alternate Saturdays in the winter. I heard a law is coming out restricting salaried workers from working consecutive Saturdays if they work every day during the week. Does anyone know if this is true or not? If it is, what are the details of this law? If it isn't, what are my rights as a salaried employee working every Saturday?

I don't know about that law, but you always have the right to find a better place to work.

I did find something about working more than 54 hours in a work week, though. Is that what you're talking about?
    Last edited by moburkes; 06-28-2007, 07:19 AM.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

I would like to see that law. Thanks
      Last edited by AllPoolGuy; 06-28-2007, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Google Connecticut Department of Labor. Then on the left is a link for frequently asked questions. Click on it.

Comment

I'm on the CT DOL site and I'm not seeing that. Can you post a link to what you're seeing?

I find the CT site to be among the least user-friendly.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

cbg, you have to go to "Related Links" on the left, and under that it has DOL FAQ's.

Definitely not user friendly.

ETA: I still cannot find the 54 hour week thing moburkes is talking about...
            Last edited by JulieBean; 06-28-2007, 09:58 AM.

Comment

http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkstn...s.htm#overtime

Comment

Now that I see it, the 54 hours has to do with the defininition of certain exemptions. There is nothing in the law prohibiting an employee from working more than 54 hours in the week.

Julie, where you see the a, b, and c in the link Mo provided, click on c.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Okay, so out of that I got:

Depending on what he does (salesman, tv/radio personality, driver, seaman), he does NOT get paid OT if he works less than 54 hrs. per week in seven consecutive days.

Correct?

Kind of a wierd law...

ETA: cbg, yeah, I kind of zipped through it the first time. After mo gave the link I read it a lot more slowly.

Comment

Yeah, well, Connecticut...

Comment

Wow, Hey thanks for your help

Comment

So if an individual works 60 hours and is exempt, he's entitled to overtime for those 6 hours?

I know of some guys that work 70-75 hours a week, and are exempt and only get their salary. They are traveling supervisors for their company and just oversee the jobs while the 5-6 installers do the work.

Interesting...........
                        This will pass. Life's got bigger disapointments waiting for you.

Comment

Working...
                        X