This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help in Connecticut Connecticut

I am in need of some help.. I got injured on the job back on 7/20/05 and after a long period of time finally had surgery for the injury on 1/11/06 went back to work on 3/20/06 but have been on light duty due to the injurt and limited hours of 20 hours a week.. but i normally push it to about 30 a week. but I developed a second injury due to compensation of the original one. my question is this. because it has been over a year and i am still on the light duty even to this day awaiting surgery for the second injury can the company I work for change my work status from full time to part time thus making me lose any and all health benifits I once had, because of the workman's comp. Injury I am currently suffering from? I am also still paying for the premiums so far as I can tell .. I was removed from full time status with out my knowing back on 7/23/06 and as of my last paycheck which was 8/11/06 I have paid the same premiums as I had all along. please help me..
    Last edited by Wolfstryke; 08-12-2006, 10:13 AM.

Yes, they can. They didn't have to return you to work at all, after so long. It is neither illegal nor unreasonable for them to classify you as part time when you are only able to work 20 hours a week.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

so they can change my status, thus forcing me to lose my health insurance that I am still paying for?

Comment

Your company's health plan most likely has a requirement on the number of hours worked in order for an employee to qualify. If you are not working this number of hours, there is a good chance you no longer qualify for this benefit. You may want to discuss with your HR department to see what all will be affected by this status change (i.e. PTO, AD&D, etc.).

Comment

If you are no longer eligible for the health insurance because you are not working the requisite hours, you will no longer have your portion of the premium payments deducted from your paycheck.

You WILL be eligible for COBRA, which would mean that you would be able to continue the health insurance benefits at your own expense, meaning that you would pay both your own portion and the employer's portion as well.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thats just It.. they are still taking the payments out of my paycheck or atleast have been for the past 6 pay periods.. so I make more then enough for me to afford the premiums..

Comment

So, then it sounds like you're still covered. Have you asked?
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X