No announcement yet.

overseas jobs- how should I be payed, under local law? California

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overseas jobs- how should I be payed, under local law? California

Our company provides machines necessary to be a player in the fiber optic industry
    I build machines that make fiber optic glass. These machines are quite large and require a team to install and set up at customers plant, once built.
    That means our company must provide a service crew to set them up at the customers location.

Our customers are overseas in Asia and India

Flight time to the last location was 14 hours to one spot,then 3.5 hours to the next with 1.5 hours layover. Airport to hotel time approx. 20 hours

We work 10+ hours a day, 6 days a week. Having Sunday off.
    We get an amount for travel time pay, which is added to our wages thus taxed. I am aware the laws regarding travel pay are vague at best.
    Right now we get our reg. pay including overtime per Ca. regulations...with $2 per hour extra for oversea compensation.

My queation is: Does California have a requirement that my employer must adhiere to in reguards to overseas pay?

Im a non-exempt technician. I get paid hourly.

From the time I arrive at the airport to the time I return to the US, I am under the control of my employer. And doing the companys bidding. Hotel rooms and meals are provided as is transport to and from the jobsite. I dont expect to be paid on my days off, as we are free to do as we please.(i.e. sightseeing or shopping) We are still in a forign land and cant very well go home. Thus still in the companys control.

If someone could give me some sort of guideline as to what Ca law requires my employer to pay me, I would appreciate it.
    Am I being treated fairly?...according to the law.

Thank you,

Concerned in Cali
    Last edited by dsrosem; 12-21-2017, 06:49 PM. Reason: re write

Duplicate post

All the responders read all the applicable forums to their specialty - you will not get more or better answers by asking the same question multiple times. Thank you for understanding.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

sorry,newbie mistake

I know ignorance is no excuse
      please close this thread