Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using paid sick leave for rain days California

Good morning all and happy Friday!
    We are a construction company in San Diego. When there is rain, the majority of our employees are not able to work. CA and San Diego provide paid sick leave , and many want to use this time when a rain day occurs.
    We have not been allowing this since there was no work to perform and were not scheduled to work (just like if they were sick on a Sunday).
    We are thinking of maybe allowing then to use sick time in these cases , since the thinking is they will call in sick later so not to lose the sick time anyway.
    Would this be OK, we would not be forcing it, and there is no requirement that a doctors note be provided/
    Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I think if you allowed this, and then someone who had used their days for "rain days" was honestly and legitimately ill, the state of California would come down on you like a ton of bricks.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

That is my main concern , them coming back and claiming "they made us use sick time"
      I even tell them at Orientation it is paid sick leave, not paid rain leave.
      Thanks DAW.

Comment

Working...
      X