This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Act of God"

We are roofing company located in Northern California. I have read Sections 4(A) and 10(C) of the labor code, and I am wondering if weather (ie rain specifically) would constitute an " Act of God". Often times we will go to work even if it looks like rain, if we show up and I call them off in an hour or two would we be subject to reporting time pay? Thank you.

Yes,a rain-out is considered an act of god.
    "The most patriotic people in America are the working class" - Cecil Roberts - President UMWA

Comment

Thank you!

Would you be able to tell me where in writing I can find this? Thank you very much for your reply.

Comment

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_ReportingTimePay.htm
        Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Redwood Roofers - I'm going to make your question/post into it's own new thread. Please do not post your question to another poster's old thread - in this case one from 2007. Thanks.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I am not aware of anything in writing that is on point with the applicability of reporting time pay in an inclement weather situation. Having said that, I have spoken with the DLSE about this before and they were quick to answer that yes, a rain-out is considered an act of god.
            "The most patriotic people in America are the working class" - Cecil Roberts - President UMWA

Comment

The key phrase seems to be "not within the employer's control". Of course, CA-DLSE as always gets the last word.
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Yes, agreed. The DLSE gives a bit of insight into what they consider to be an act of god or other cause that is outside of the employers control in a 1989 opinion letter. http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/opinions/1989-03-08.pdf

Comment

Working...
                X