This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay for a called meeting??? California

Scenario - an employee is sent a text, from the store manager, to come to work the following day between 3 and 8. It was not specified if they were to work or for a meeting. It turns out the employee was called in, along with another employee to be written up.
    ...Is the employee entitled to be paid for his/her time at this "meeting"

Absolutely.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

labor code?

Do you happen to know the Labor Law Code I can reference for this situation?

Comment

Patty, Or anyone else , Would a reporting pay minimum come into play here as well ?
        "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

I'm thinking probably the 2-hour minimum might apply, but I'm not 102% positive.
          http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.27.htm

The key I'm seeing here is that it was not "voluntary".
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Eng&SafetyMGR View Post
            Patty, Or anyone else , Would a reporting pay minimum come into play here as well ?
            Only CA-DLSE can say for sure, but it is worth filing a wage claim.
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Reporting time pay California

In California from the DLSE manual:

45.1 Reporting Time Pay. Section 5 of each of the Orders provides:
              (A) Each workday an employee is required to report for work and does report, but is not put to
              work or is furnished less than half said employee's usual or scheduled day's work, the employee
              shall be paid for half the usual or scheduled day's work, but in no event for less than two (2) hours
              nor more than four (4) hours, at the employee's regular rate of pay, which shall not be less than
              the minimum wage.

The key would be that the employee was not put to "work". Also note the use of the phrase "regular rate of pay". That is not the employee's hourly rate of pay but entails a specific computation of all compensation received for the week divided by the total number of hours worked.

Comment

California labor law attorney

Nice research- Worried
                Walter

www.Californialaborlaw.info
                "California Wage and Hour Class Action Attorneys"

Disclaimer: The above correspondence does not constitute legal advice nor establish an attorney-client relationship. You should seek the advice of independent legal counsel before relying upon, acting upon or not acting upon any information contained in this correspondence.

Comment

Working...
                X