This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Offer Letter - California

I'm a long time employee at a large insurance company. I recently applied for an internal position outside my current department, I interviewed and was offered the job, I was given a written offer letter with a new salary and a start date was agreed upon with my department and the department I was moving to. Two weeks later I was notified that I would not be allowed to move departments because of a company policy that nobody seems to be aware of. Can my employer do this?

Yes, they can do that - it's not illegal to change their mind.

However, are you saying it is because of a co. policy but you weren't told what the policy is?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Betty, I've been told what the policy is, after the fact. The way I see it is they had plently of opportunities to let me know I wasn't eligable for the job, 1st, when I applied, 2nd when I interviewed and finally, before the job was offered. Basically the department that I am moving to still wants me to come over, the move is being blocked by managment in my department, not my immediate boss, but a couple of levels higher.
      Last edited by confused2001; 03-09-2008, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Nothing you have posted changes the answer. It is still legal for them to block your transfer.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Unfortunately, you are experiencing the down side of being a valuable employee, or you are caught up in a turf war, or both.

Comment

It does seem unfair but it's not illegal. Sorry.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
            X