This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rat droppings at workplace California

We have a satellite office and our staff there noticed rat droppings this week. Are we under any obligation by law to deal with this? My supervisor is advising them to do catch and release traps themselves. We're an all woman staff that who has zero people really willing to take this on. I would think under osha that we have to provide a vermin free workplace. Don't know if this matters but we serve the public (non profit social service type agency).

Tell the cheap supervisor to read the following then call a professional service. This is the fed. reg but I wouldn't imagine anything from CALOSHA would contradict it.

1910.141(a)(5)
    Vermin control. Every enclosed workplace shall be so constructed, equipped, and maintained, so far as reasonably practicable, as to prevent the entrance or harborage of rodents, insects, and other vermin. A continuing and effective extermination program shall be instituted where their presence is detected.
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

CalOsha uses the same language...

This is the fed. reg but I wouldn't imagine anything from CALOSHA would contradict it.

I guess I was wondering if having employees handle it is even allowable. I wouldn't think so. What if the **** thing bites someone?

Comment

Allowable, probably with the proper precautions taken which I'm sure none of you are trained in. Continuing and effective, no way.
        "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

thx. thats what I was thinking too. looks like issue is resolved...

Supe has asked me to call a pest control company after providing the osha regs. thx for the input.

Comment

Good. Have the company do a thorough inspection, they can usually pinpoint the source pretty well.

Comment

More over, having people who do not what they are doing does not necessarily save money. Maybe 20 years we had a large rat run through the manufacturing facility and it basically shut the place down for an hour. Half the of factory workes basically ran screaming out the facility and the rest did their best Keystone Kops imitation of a rat catcher. They finally killed it be trapping it under a 55 gallon drum and pouring (a lot) of very nasty solvent (1,1,1-trichlorethene) into the hole in the drum. Cleaning up the chemical spell cost more then hiring an exterminator would have.

Senior management who up until that point had been ignoring the rat problems finally figured out that having several hundred hourly workers miss an hour or more of work time due to "dancing with rats" was cost ineffective and called in a professional to deal with it.

The also had Maintenance start setting mouse traps in the office. Maintenance checked the traps for a while, then got busy on something else and stopped. The office people started mailing the dead mice via interoffice mail to the Maintenance supervisor for disposal. Thrilled the heck out of Mail Services.
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

California labor law attorney

Vermin extermination is not that complicated. Rats are common in California especially in older structures. The employer can cover himself by scheduling a few calls a month and install catch and release traps. Place your concerns in writing, sign and date with a witness and take it from there.

Originally posted by hrcalgal View Post
                We have a satellite office and our staff there noticed rat droppings this week. Are we under any obligation by law to deal with this? My supervisor is advising them to do catch and release traps themselves. We're an all woman staff that who has zero people really willing to take this on. I would think under osha that we have to provide a vermin free workplace. Don't know if this matters but we serve the public (non profit social service type agency).
                Walter

www.California-Labor-Law-Attorney.com
                "Wage and Hour Class Action Attorneys"

Disclaimer: The above correspondence does not constitute legal advice nor establish an attorney-client relationship. You should seek the advice of independent legal counsel before relying upon, acting upon or not acting upon any information contained in this correspondence.

Comment

Working...
                X