This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demotion and job relocation Arkansas Arkansas

I was recently demoted and received a paycut and either I had to accept a job 35 miles away or be without one. so for the time being I decided to accept the lower position and drive a total of 70+ miles 5 days/week. what are my legal options? Should I be compensated for travel expenses? If I decide to quit because of hardship in getting back and forth to work, would I be allowed unemployment? Thanks

The employer does not have to pay you travel costs.

The only people who can say whether you'd get unemployment if you quit under these circumstances work in the unemployment office. In my area (Northern Virginia/DC suburbs), many people have commutes as long or longer than yours and would not get umemployment if they quit over a 35-mile commute.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Agree that a 35 mi. one way commute (70 mi. a day) may not be far enough to
      qualify for UI if you quit. However, as Marketeer said, it would be the UI folks
      decision.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Expect to have a difficult time getting benefits even if you ultimately prevail. For one, no state is a fan of granting benefits to someone who was employed and chose to become unemployed. Ditto that if there is no major change in circumstances from the day you last worked to the day you quit. I realize you had an increased commute but you did make it work for some time. Unless there is a very compelling reason you suddenly could not continue, I would not expect benefits.

A better bet would be to look for a job with less of a commute.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

And it is always easier to find the next job while you still have the current job.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Agree with DAW & if you did quit, you "might not" get UI while looking
            for other employment.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
            X