This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay for being on call Arkansas

Is an employer required to pay an employee when they tell them to be on call?? I was told that they were but I need some documentation. Thanks

Maybe this will give you an idea of "when" on call pay is required for non-exempt employees. Exempt employees would never get any add'l. pay over their regular fixed weekly salary for being on call.

http://www.dol.gov:80/dol/allcfr/ESA...9CFR785.17.htm
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

that kind of helps, its hard to tell though on which one i fall in. I don't have to remain at the premises but I do have to remain close enough to get there within an allotted time limit.

This job I work at is a joke but right now times are hard and no one else is hiring so I have to stick it out. I am a certified mechanic but I am only getting paid $7.75 an hr. The owner just purchased the place about 6 months ago and should definately not be a business owner. If he realizes you have money then he is going to try and stick it to ya, and if you dont have money then you aren't worth his time.

Thats why I am trying to find anything I can to knock him down a notch. Thanks

Comment

OK, if that link didn't help, answer these questions.

How much time do you have to show up when you are called?
        How are you contacted?

"Taking an owner down a notch" is a good way to get fired.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Also, to what degree are you free to engage in personal activities while on call?

The U.S. Supreme Court looks at whether the time is spent predominantly for the employer’s or the employee’s benefit.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I have to be there with in probably 10-15 minutes.

I am contacted on my home phone which means I am unable to leave the house.

Any activities have to be performed at home due to being contacted on my home phone. I can't even go to town and get something to eat or go to walmart or anything.

Comment

Why can't they call you on your cell phone? Don't have one? Would they provide you with one for business purposes?

I agree that 10-15 minutes is a very short time. What type of work do you do?
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I believe the one post by the poster says they are a certified mechanic.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
                  I believe the one post by the poster says they are a certified mechanic.

Just wondering why a certified mechanic would have a 10-15 minute "emergency".

Comment

Maybe he is saying he is a certified mechanic but currently is working at a different job @ all he could get in this economy?? The way it is worded though sounds like he is currently a mechanic.

I guess as a mechanic could be called though as jobs come in?

cheesesteak, just exactly what kind of work do you do - what are your job duties? Thanks.

Comment

Also, how often are you actually called in when on call? If you are being called multiple times a night that is different from just being the once in a blue moon contact if an emergency arises.
                      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
                      X