This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrongful Suspension Arkansas Arkansas

I was given a suspension at work for 3 days. When my boss came in my office to give me a suspension she made some comment about "you don't have the right to do that". I had no idea what she was speaking about.
    Anyway, I was very upset about the whole ordeal.
    While serving my suspension I received a phone call from a fellow co-worker that called to see how I was doing. I had not told anyone I worked with what had occurred. The girl that called serves as charge nurse at times. Yet, I was upset that this whole situation was discussed with another person. It was not necessary. Though this is not the point.
    I scheduled an appointment with the head of HR the next week to discuss the suspension. In having the conversation and discussing what had occurred the HR person told me what I had been suspended for. What I had been suspended for did not occur. She made the comment that possibly this needed to be looked at again and that she would get a copy of the suspension, which she had not as yet received, and set up a meeting with my boss and myself. I did not hear from her. On Friday of last week I left a message on her phone asking if she had received the paperwork and was wanting to get together with she and my boss. I did not hear from her on Friday. She might have been off. Today, Monday, I saw her in the cafeteria. She has not returned my phone call. Also, when I received my suspension notice when I returned to work and read it, it was different than what the HR person was told I was suspended for. She and the Director of Nursing told my boss to suspend me as they were told I had refused to see a patient. This did not happen. I did not refuse to see anyone. When I signed the suspension I wrote a note disputing what was written and told my side of the story on the paper.
    My question is, What recourse do I have to correct this situation? Is this something that I could pursue legally for not addressing what was wrongfully written and the suspension that occurred. My reputation, I feel has been tarnished. And I feel as I have been wronged.
    Last edited by katrinak; 05-11-2009, 09:30 PM.

I see nothing illegal here. You can be suspended for something that didn't happen/occur. You just can't be suspended/discriminated against due to a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, race) or unless you have a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

You gave a written statement as to your side of the story. That's about all you can do.

Are you a nurse - are you in a union?
    Last edited by Betty3; 05-11-2009, 09:52 PM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Berry3

Yes, I am a nurse. And we don't have a union where I am employed.
      The part that hurt was that I had 3 days where I did not receive pay. The maddening part is that my side of the story wasn't discussed until I met with HR and "was told" we needed to look at this again as we might have made a mistake. As stated, I have not heard from HR.
      Thanks for your response.
      katrinak

Comment

This may have been an unfair suspension but not illegal.

Maybe you will still hear something from HR.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Betty3

Hopefully, I will.
          Thanks for the advice.
          KatrinaK

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
            X