This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a franchise owner do this?? Arizona

I work at(restaurant chain), and my boss is the owner of the franchise. She said that if we call in sick or call in or anything like that that she will cut four shifts. Even if we are legitemitely sick she will cut four shifts. It has happened to a couple people already. Is this legal??
    Last edited by cbg; 09-21-2009, 05:39 AM.

Barring a collective bargaining agreement to the contrary, yes.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Although why an employer in a food establishment would WANT an employee to come in with, for example, a contagious condition, even a cold, is beyond me.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I wonder if the restaurant inspectors would be interested in employees essentially being forced to work with food while sick? I don't know, but it comes to mind.
        I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice Dodd View Post
          I wonder if the restaurant inspectors would be interested in employees essentially being forced to work with food while sick? I don't know, but it comes to mind.
          Good point.

And what they would say, if anything, about the logic of, in effect, punishing employees for doing the right thing when it comes to health issues?

I was also thinking that corporate might be interested in knowing this. Although theoretically, franchisors are their own business, when it's a chain the corporation does have some control over the safety of their customers. If a customer at a franchise gets sick because a contagious employee came to work, who do you think is going to get the bad publicity? Bob, because he owns it or Pizza Hut (or whatever)?
          Last edited by Pattymd; 09-21-2009, 06:53 AM.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X