This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do now? Arizona

I posted the original issue with my employment in the STD and UI thread. I saw my employer posted a part time job today. Like they said, they are giving me 30 days to post or I will be terminated. UI benefits haven't been approved yet. Here is my question: I cannot afford to work part time, as I have daycare to pay for. I do not plan on posting for this position. Will that affect whether or not my UI benefits will be approved?

It shouldn't. The UI office does not expect you to apply for every job on Monster.com or in your local newspaper either; just that you make a reasonable (as they define it) attempt to find work.

"Turning down available work" does not mean applications. It means that someone actually offers you a job and you say no.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

CBG~ I realize that, but this is my employer, the one who has not yet "terminated me". They sent a letter saying I have 30 days to post for a position, or termination will follow. So, if they decide to contest my unemployment benefits, can't they use this as a reason "We gave her a chance to post for an open position, she did not" . I realize they can say and do what they want to contest benefits. But, in your response to my earlier question, are you saying it doesn't matter what jobs are posted, I cannot posiibly apply for all of them? I just want to make sure I understand.....oh and by the way, as of now my UI benefits have been approved, I managed to get through the customer service office. I just hope now my company doesnt contest them. Sorry for being so long winded....thanks for all of your insight!

Comment

I cannot carve anything in stone for you. I do not work for the AZ unemployment commission. Nor do I know how many jobs are posted or how qualified you are for any of them.

All I can tell you is that *as a general rule* you will not be turned down for unemployment insurance on the basis that you did not apply for a particular job AS LONG AS you otherwise qualify and you make the requisite number of job contacts once approved for benefits.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thanks again for your feedback.

Comment

We may have covered this in another thread, but I do want to clarify. Is it true that at any time while someone is getting unemployment benefits, the employer can contest? Even weeks or months after the person has been collecting? What would be a valid reason to do so?

Comment

There is generally a time limit for the employer to appeal. Unless the employer can show an acceptable reason for not appealing within the time frame (which is not likely), they will not be able to appeal past that deadline.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I will wait and see what happens. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X