This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commision. No break down on payplan. Alaska

A part of my wages are paid via commision. I get a percentage of the department gross profit. I have in no way to access to the total $$$ amount that I am paid off of or a breakdown of the accounts that lead to the dollar amount that I am paid off of. I have no way of knowing if profit accounts are being used to absorb expences etc.

I do know my percentage and I can do the math to figure out what the gross profit should be. But I don't know if it is the number or not.

Am I entitled to a breakdown on how I earned my commission? Is there any documentation to support my question?
    Last edited by ALASKAWORKER; 01-09-2009, 03:31 PM.

Not to my knowledge, no.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agree & Alaska has no state law regarding the timely payment of commissions and/or requirements for figuring commissions.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Assuming that the 7(i) exeption is applicable... Some general information

Among the myriad of exemptions from overtime eligibility is the Section 7(i) exemption (codified at Section 207(i) of the FLSA). For this overtime pay exemption to apply, a three-part test must be satisfied. First, an individual must earn more in commissions than in non-commission income for a pre-determined representative period of not less than one month. Non-commission income includes salary, guaranteed draw and other salary-like payments. Second, there must be proof that, on a workweek-by-workweek basis, the individual receives compensation (commissions, base pay and other compensation) that equals or exceeds time and one-half of the federal minimum wage (currently $6.55) for all hours of work. Finally, the worker must be employed in a "retail or service establishment." The Wage-Hour Administrator's regulations have defined narrowly which businesses qualify as "retail or service establishments". These longstanding regulations were not modified by the Department of Labor's 2004 revision of the regulations covering the white-collar exemptions.

The "representative period" to test an employee's compensation should be of sufficient length to reflect, fairly, as many factors as possible. The period chosen should be long enough to stabilize the measure of the balance between the portions of the employee's compensation that respectively represents commissions and other earnings (bonuses and contest prizes) against purely seasonal or plainly temporary changes.
        It is a good policy for retail and service employers to have a written agreement with commission salespersons acknowledging that the compensation plan is based upon Section 7(i) of the FLSA and, therefore, no overtime will be paid. Such an agreement should at least contain these elements:
        • definition of the pay period (i.e. calendar month),
        • the pay date for each pay period,
        • the hourly rate for every hour worked (may not be less than one and one half times the prevailing minimum wage),
        • definition of the representative period, and statement of the basis of the Section 7(i) exemption from the overtime provisions, and
        • the signature and date of both parties.
        § 779.413 Methods of compensation of retail store employees.
        (a) Retail or service establishment employees are generally compensated (apart from any extra payments for overtime or other additional payments) by one of the following methods:
        (1) Straight salary or hourly rate:
        (2) Salary plus commission:
        (3) Quota bonus:
        (4) Straight commission without advances:
        (5) Straight commission with ‘‘advances,’’ ‘‘guarantees,’’ or ‘‘draws.’’
        At periodic intervals a settlement is made at which time the payments already made are supplemented by any additional amount by which his commission earnings exceed the amounts previously paid.
        ========================================

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Comment

All of what Army says is correct. However, none of it that I saw requires the employee be provided any backup documentation on the calculations, which was the OP's original question.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X