This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change time card with my knowledge

The other day at work, our payroll person wrote "lunch" on my time card even though I was eating lunch at my desk and also answering the phone at the same time because I had no one here to answer the phone while I was at lunch. Is this okay by law or is this something that I should bring up to my manager as a problem?

It doesn't matter what she wrote on your timecard. What matters is whether you will be paid for the time. You must be completely relieved of all duties in order for a meal break to be unpaid.

Comment

That is just it. She was going to dock me an hour of pay.

Comment

The fact remains that she did not do anything illegal by writing the word, lunch, on your card.

When you get your paycheck, IF you were docked for that hour THEN you have a complaint. But it is not writing "lunch" on your time sheet that is illegal, it is the docking.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank you that is what I had questions about. I have heard both that it is and that it is not illegal. Thank you for clarifying that for me. I have made a copy of my time card and if my pay has been docked an hour I will know when I get my check tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
          X