This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum hours that you can be scheduled a week in Alabama

The place I work at has been scheduling me to work on one day a week then all of the sudden I'm not scheduled at all. Can they just not even give me any hours or do they have to at least give me 4? I'm asking because I've heard that by law they can't give me no less than 4 per work week.
    Last edited by chris_mj24; 12-02-2010, 09:43 AM. Reason: incorrect spelling

Not my state, but I would be VERY surprised to learn that Alabama (or any other state) has such a law. What you can do:
    - File for UI now based on reduced hours.
    - Do not quit.
    - But start looking for another job now.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Ok, thanks. I didn't think the people telling me about the law were correct because I had never heard of it. I've definately been looking for something else...no luck yet. Thanks again.

Comment

The minimum hours that an employee can be scheduled to work in all 50 states is 0. In NO state does the law require that an employee be scheduled for any particular number of hours. In a very, very few states (Alabama is very most definitely not one of them - AL is in my opinion the second-least employee friendly state in the nation second only to Mississippi) an employee who is scheduled to work a certain number of hours and is sent home before working the full shift is entitled to be paid for a minimum number of hours (often but not always four, which is probably the start of the rumor you heard) but that's not the same thing as their being required to schedule you for x number of hours.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree, file for UI due to a reduction in hrs. As DAW noted, don't quit since you don't
          "generally" get UI when you quit. Good luck on finding other employment.

There is no min. # of hours you have to be scheduled for unless you have a legally
          binding employment contract guaranteeing a min. #.
          Last edited by Betty3; 12-02-2010, 02:11 PM.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
          X