X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• little joe
    started a topic alabama

alabama

I'm, a otr trucker driver & just left a company in AL that charge me $316.00 for taking there turck back to them in AL is this leagle

• little joe
    replied
    tn

Thanks for all your help

Leave a comment:

• LConnell
    replied
    Tennessee

While Tennessee has a few more regulations on payment of wages owed to employees, it is still not very "employee-friendly". For example, Tennessee regulations state, "deductions can only be taken out of pay if the employee has authorized it either written or verbally". The state refers you to the federal Department of Labor. There are offices in Tennessee in Nashville and in Knoxville. The same website link that was in the earlier message will give you the addresses for the Tennessee DOL offices.

I encourage you to talk with the DOL to get their opinion as to whether the deduction was taken properly. You don't need an attorney to do this. The DOL will assist you without charge if they feel that you were wronged.

Leave a comment:

• little joe
    replied
    al

It's was a co truck & I live in tn

Leave a comment:

• LConnell
    replied
    Deduction

I don't know much about special trucking regulations but it seems that requiring you to pay for the return of the truck is illegal, unless you signed an agreement saying that you would (as in a lease agreement). As far as the deduction is concerned, there isn't any law that prevents an employer taking the deduction under Alabama code or federal code (as long as you are making at least minimum wage). If you didn't sign such an agreement, you should contact the US Department of Labor. There is a DOL office in Birmingham and in Montgomery. You can learn of the addresses for the offices at: http://www.dol.gov/esa/contacts/whd/...a2.htm#Alabama

Information about DOT regs on truckers may be found at:
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rulesregs/fmcsrhome.htm

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Leave a comment:

• little joe
    replied
    al

Mr Wayne.Thank you for thr help. Can you give me more information on what to look for and who to talk to ? Should I get a lawyer to help? Will they even help for such a small amount?

Leave a comment:

• unionwayne
    replied
    Originally posted by little joe
    they took out of my last paycheckl
    Hi little joe:

I believe that the employer has violated the law by deducting the money from your check. You should file a claim with the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Dept. of Labor. You can find an office in Alabama by going to their website, www.dol.gov. Also, go to this website, http://www.afscme.org/otherlnk/weblnk29.htm, and click on the Alabama Dept. of Labor. Alabama may have a Wage and Hour Law as well.

If you need more information, let me know. Good Luck.

In Solidarity,

Wayne

Leave a comment:

• little joe
    replied
    al

they took out of my last paycheckl

Leave a comment:

• unionwayne
    replied
    yes the co i just quit charge me $316 for unautherized miles that i drove to return there truck to them
    If you had not returned the truck, I bet they would have reported it stolen.

Did they take the $316 out of your last check or did they present you with a bill?

-Wayne

Leave a comment:

• little joe
    replied
    al

yes the co i just quit charge me $316 for unautherized miles that i drove to return there truck to them

Leave a comment:

• unionwayne
    replied
    Charged $316 in Alabama

I'm, a otr trucker driver & just left a company in AL that charge me $316.00 for taking there turck back to them in AL is this leagle
    Hi little joe:

Did they say why they charged you $316.00?

-Wayne

Leave a comment:

Working...
X