No announcement yet.

Company in Alabama stopped pymt on my Paycheck Alabama

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Company in Alabama stopped pymt on my Paycheck Alabama

    I have no idea where to go, so hopefully someone can help me or direct me where to go. I am writing this for my son who lives in Fort Worth, Texas and was hired by (deleted) located in Huntsville, Alabama. His job, as a private investigator, involved him traveling two weeks along the East Coast for them, then home one week. Leave again for 2 weeks, home for one. It got to the point where he needed to be home for personal reasons and had to resign. He returned all their equipment and received his final paycheck in the mail. When I went to the bank one day to do some banking for him, I was told that this company, had stopped payment on his paycheck check. He has tried several times to get ahold of his former employers and no one will return his calls. Please help and advise as to what I can do, and is this legal? Thank you.
    Last edited by J Sorbel; 08-20-2008, 02:51 PM.

  • #2
    Please do not mention the name of the employer in your posts. It can have negative consequences - we had a poster not long ago who was legally fired because of what he said about his employer on line. We don't want that to happen to you (or your son).
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      There are two different main issues.
      - Assuming wages are unpaid, the normal recovery methods are filing a wage claim with state DOL, filing a wage claim with federal DOL (although this method is generally only good for MW/OT), or a court action (either small claims court or general court action). It might be worth contacting your state's Department of Labor to find out what the rules and limits are for a claim. The advantage of a wage claim is that there is no chance of extra costs. The advantage of a court action is the possibility of damages. And I have no idea what your state's rules on damages are.
      - I do not live in your state and have no expertise in your state's laws. I do know that stopping payment on a check is legally problematic especially if the funds were indeed due. In some states that is the same thing as issuing a bad check. But different states have different rules on that and I have no idea what your state's rules are.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)