This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama

I work anyware from 10 to 12 hours a day and i am on a small salary. I only get a 30 min lunch break if that, some days I am told i can leave to get lunch. I get no bonus or over time. Is any of this illegal???

It is legal to require you to work 10-12 hours a day.

It is legal, in your state, for you to receive no breaks.

Bonuses are not required by law in any state.

However, whether or not it is legal for you not to be paid overtime depends on whether or not you are exempt or non-exempt and we don't have enough information to determine that. What exactly are your job duties?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

And, is that salary at least $455 per week?

We also need to know about the type of business (don't post the name of the employer).
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Its a warehouse postion

Comment

Also, we dont get vaction or sick days until the first year we have worked there. Is that normal ??

Comment

If you're doing manual labor, then you are almost certainly nonexempt. ARE you doing manual labor? Or are you a manager or supervisor?

I asked the questions I asked for a reason. If you answer them in total, I can give you the legal requirements. If you don't, I can't.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Yes i am doing manual labor and NO I am not a manager.

Comment

If the employer is subject to the Fair Labor Standards Act (annual gross revenue at least $500K OR the company engages in interstate commerce) then, as a nonexempt employee, you must be paid overtime at 1.5 times your regular rate of pay in any workweek in which you work over 40 hours. "Salaried" is merely a pay method.

Alabama does not require the emplloyer to provide either rest breaks or meal periods.

It is not illegal for the employer to require that you remain on-site. IF your meal period is not at least an uninterrupted 30 minutes (this is an update, I believe, it used to be 20 minutes), then it is not a "bona fide" meal period and the entire time must be paid. Are you subject to being called back to work during the meal period and that is why you are sometimes not allowed to leave?

Comment

Originally posted by david88 View Post
                  Also, we dont get vaction or sick days until the first year we have worked there. Is that normal ??
                  It is up to your employer whether to give vacation and/or sick days & how they are accrued. (unless you have a bona fide employment contract or CBA that addresses vacation & sick days)
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                  X