This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of deductions are legal Alabama

I work for a contracting company in Alabama. Just last week I had and accicdent at our yard which resulted in a broken power pole. My employer deducted 250.00 out of my check the following week to help pay for the pole. Is this legal? I was a stupid but honest mistake. Also, there have been other employees in previous situations who have racked up more in damages but the haven't had to pay anything.

Alabama law is silent on this issue, which makes it not ILlegal. However, if the deduction took you below minimum wage, that would NOT be legal.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agreed. The MW restriction Patty mentioned is federal, which means it is a valid rule in all states. Some states have tougher restrictions on deductions then the federal rules, but apparently your state does not.

Federal deduction rules
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Oh, and under the federal rules, the deduction can't touch any overtime pay, either.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X