X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dianeks
    started a topic Can anyone tell me if this is legal Alabama Alabama

Can anyone tell me if this is legal Alabama Alabama

My husband is a manager of a store in one of the major pizza chains. He was hired by the corporate office. Now the corporate offices have sold the stores in our area to a franchise. He is salery and was told he had to work 50 hours a week under the original Corporate structure.
    When the Franchise people came in they told him that he would be required to work 54 hours a week. Now in just 3 short weeks he has been told he has to be there from 9am to the end of rush hour ( this can be any where from 9pm to midnight ) 4 days a week and from 9 am to 1:30 to 2:30 am one day a week. He is also expected to be on call 24/7, even on days off and while on vacation. At this time he is working approximately 80 hours a week now. Plus the constant phone calls to our home at all hour to make decisions about running the store, (we have been woken up at 1:30 am to be told the printer is out of tape). Is this legal? They have also cut out our benifits. Also the franchise owners are based in Georgia, I do not know if this is important or relevant.
    Thanks for any help on this in advance.
    Last edited by dianeks; 05-20-2008, 03:09 PM.

• ScottB
    replied
    Originally posted by dianeks View Post
    He is one of the last in the 7 stores to quit.
    While the employer's actions are legal, they should look at what their policies cost them.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Unfortunately, extreme hours are not all that uncommon in this industry.

Leave a comment:

• dianeks
    replied
    Thanks

Sigh,, Thanks anyway. He will be looking for new job,, It is hard for him as he loves his job and really doe's not want to leave, but the no privacy and all the other issues just makes him one more manager they will have lost. He is one of the last in the 7 stores to quit. I really appreciate your help with this.

Thanks again,,,,

Leave a comment:

• cyjeff
    replied
    So... he should quit today.

There is no reason to put up with this treatment.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Yes, it is legal. It is stupid, but you do not live in one of the extremely few states that places a limit on the number of hours required to be worked.

As long as he is being paid properly, his employer is not breaking any laws except perhaps the law of good sense.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X