This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Employers devulge employee salary details to non-employees? Alabama

I would like to know what laws permit or prohibit employers from sharing salary information of employees with non-employee individuals such as customers. My employer shared my salary amount with a customer and says that there's nothing that prevents them (the employer) from doing so, yet I felt that my privacy had been infringed. Am I crazy or should I expect employers to not share that kind of information without my consent.

There are no laws that either give an employer permission to, or prohibits an employer from, divulging salary information with or without your permission. In the absence of a law prohibiting such an action, it is deemed legal. Therefore, the absence of a law prohibiting it makes it legal regardless of whether a law gives them permission to do so or not. Salary information is not considered protected under the law.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X