South Carolina state employee with question South Carolina

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Carolina state employee with question South Carolina

If an employee attends a work related conference and after attending ask the state agency for reimbursement, under the policies of the state government, is this permissible?

If it is permissible, who can provide the documentation that would support such a request?

Thanking you in advance,
    Kiko

Did the employer request or require that the employee attend the conference? Or was it just something the employee decided they wanted to do personally? The employee can always ask for reimbursement after the fact, but it doesn't automatically mean they will get it. And it is very possible that the state of SC has a policy on how employee training is paid, but it could differ based on the employee, the type of training, where/when, etc.

It is obviously best to request if wages or expenses will be paid PRIOR to attending.

Comment

Agreed. Also at best we are talking about some rule internal to state government employees. There are exactly two states (CA, MA) which have any type of law requiring any type of expense reimbursement and MA law is restricted to mileage reimbursement only. So since we are at best talking about some formal civil service level SC government policy, then at best all the government policy rules are in place. And those rules might spell out specific hoops that must be jumped through.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thank you for your response

There are policies in place but the employee at the time did not believe that her conference would be covered. After the fact, the employee decided to ask for reimbursement. Now the employer is stating that she was trying to go around the system. She is claiming that she wasn't but they want to give her some type of corrective action. Which I believe to be ludicrous.

My questions are to see if this is a legitimate request by the employee or am I out in left field. I am trying to give her some talking points and wanted to see if this site might have some.

Thanks Again,
        Kiko.

Comment

This is more likely than not subject to the policies of the branch or agency of state government which employs the person. It is far from uncommon in the public sector to only reimburse certain types of conferences and only under very specific guidelines. Pre-approval is nearly always one of them. Billing for something which was not pre-approved is one of those things that tends to set off taxpayers and auditors alike. Whether the employee intended to go around the system or not, he/she did just that. Anytime someone else is footing the bill, they should be made aware of the expenses ahead of time. Not to mention, it does set a bad precedent for other employees to then, "forget".

It is also not uncommon to write up an employee who fails to follow the proper procedures for any administrative policy. That goes for public and private sector employment. Even if the cost is ultimately covered, it does take additional effort, time and resources to process this after the fact. Holding the employee who caused that situation responsible for having done so is entirely reasonable.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
          X