This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forced to work in a firetrap

I presently am forced to work out of a building that was built in the early 1900's. the building has one exit and its in an area where flamable liquids are stored. trucks are stored also carring deisel fuel and gasoline. there is no emergancy lighting and the only exit is not even labeled as an exit. there is one window in the shop that measures 23 x25 inches the other windows are either blocked or heavy metal mesh attached. no emergancy evacuation plan is in place. in case of fire its unlikely anyone would get out alive. what can I do to escape this unsafe workplace?

Find another job?

If you feel that the workplace violates OSHA safety standards, you are free to report it to them.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

thanks for the reply. i've thought about both answers you gave. after surfing the boards here its fairly clear that reporting a safety violation to osha will always result in termination of that employee.in fact I haven't read of one happy ending from a osha violation. looks like a lose lose propisition.

Comment

You cannot LEGALLY be fired for reporting safety violations to OSHA. If you are fired for that reason, you do have legal recourse.

I do not agree that employees who make complaints to OSHA are always fired. Employees who make complaints to OSHA and are not fired, have no reason to post that fact on a message board.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X