Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maternity SDI and FLI in NJ, if self employed and also working in New Jersey

Hi,
    I'm trying to understand the NJ State Maternity Disability Insurance Law. I work for a company located in Indiana, but work at their client place in NJ. I reside in NJ. I also have a home based small business which I work for and draw monthly salary. I plan to take maternity leave from the place I work at, but I would still be drawing some salary from my home based small business. I have few questions.

1) With the above situation of me, will I be eligible to apply for NJ State Disability Insurance for my pregnancy.
    2) If eligible for SDI, how much amount can I expect from State Disability Insurance. Will the amount be equal to Max weekly State disability pay(approx $538) minus the weekly salary I draw from my home based business.
    3) And who should I fill as my employer in the Disability Claim? Should I fill my home based small business as the employer or, the Company at which I work and from which I'm planning to take leave.

Please help answer my questions.

So you are self-employed and also work for an Indiana based employer (2 different jobs)? How many employees do you have for your own business? How many are within 75 miles of you for the other company?

As far as benefits go, you can find much of what you need here http://www.nj.gov/njparentlink/career/maternity/
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Hi ElleMD,
      Thanks for your response. I'm the owner, and the one and only employee for my home based small business. My indiana employer has may be 3-4 employees working within 75 miles radius of the place where I work in. Does the number of employees effect the benefits I get. And I only draw nominal salary from my company, the turnover of which is very less.

Thanks

Comment

The link above explains how you qualify for disability pay while off work. Who you file the claim with depends on what type of disability insurace you have. With so few employees, your employer is not required to offer you any specified amount of leave.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
        X