This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia Pregnancy Law for Small Businesses Georgia

I work for a private company in Georgia that has 5 full time employees and just found out I am pregnant. It seems that all of the laws are for companies with more then 15 employees. Do I have any rights?

There is no law which mandates a specific amount of leave for you. Talk to your employer and find out what they can offer.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for the fast response. That is what I thought - I didn't think I would be eligible for any leave. Do they have to pay for my health insurance while I am out? Can they reduce my salary during my pregnancy if I am unable to do some of my current duties? Do they have to hold a job for me? Can I be fired?

Comment

Do they have to pay for my health insurance while I am out? Since FMLA does not apply, no, they have no such obligation.

Can they reduce my salary during my pregnancy if I am unable to do some of my current duties? Yes. IF discrimination laws applied, there would be qualifiers to that answer. Since they do not, technically as long as you are paid minimum wage and overtime when it applies, they are legal.

Do they have to hold a job for me? No.

Can I be fired? Same answer as #2
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree with cbg, though before you jump to conclusions about what might happen, talk to your employer. Just because the law is not specific as to what they must do, does not mean they will treat you any differently.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Agree that there is no federal or state pregnancy discrimination laws that
            would apply to you. Your employer does not have enough employees for
            the federal law to apply & your state law only applies to public employees.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Agree with Elle - talk to them. Just because they CAN fire you, etc. doesn't mean they WILL. Contrary to popular belief, not all employers are determined to do their employees dirty.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The bottom line is you get the amount of leave your employer is willing/able
                to give you.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                X