This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another NJ Maternity Question... New Jersey

I know this has probably been discussed a few times, but I am getting very confused when trying to read all the info on this. This is regarding paid maternity leave, not how long I can be out of work with job protection. I am only taking 12 weeks total once I deliver.

Am I allowed to go on short term disability (TDI) for my maternity leave and get the 6/8 weeks paid (depending on type of delivery) at 2/3rds salary, and then once that runs out jump over to the new NJ Family Leave Insurance and get 2/3rd of my salary for the remaining maternity leave? So essentially the last 4 or 6 weeks under the new act that went into effect July 2009. Are you allowed to use these two types of partially paid leave back to back like this?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by purple9; 07-23-2009, 01:31 PM.

While you are disabled from your pregnancy, you can get NJ SDI (TDI). For a normal pregnancy benefits are usually payable for up to four (4) weeks before the expected delivery date and up to six (6) weeks after the actual delivery date. Benefits may be payable for a longer period if your doctor certifies that you have a specific complication related to the pregnancy; you have a Caesarean section; or you have another simultaneous disability.

After you are no longer disabled & receiving SDI, you can take PFL (Paid Family "Leave" which was eff. 7-09) up to 6 wks. to care/bond with new baby (has to be taken within 12 mos. of birth). It's not really/actually a leave law but pay while you are on leave. (wage replacement law)

Neither SDI or PFL are leaves - they are pay while you are on leave. Neither offers job protection though you may have job protection under a federal or state law (ie FMLA, NJFLA).
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

purple9 - I posted early morning (3:11am cst) & couldn't post any longer at that time.

You mentioned 2/3 of your salary which is correct but up to a maximum amount. I wanted to post for you info in regard to the max. amt.

NJ SDI - Your weekly benefit rate is calculated using your average weekly wage. The average weekly wage is generally based on the earnings in the eight calendar weeks immediately before the week in which the disability begins. The total wages earned during all base weeks worked in the eight week period are divided by the number of such base weeks to obtain the average weekly wage. Each claimant is paid two-thirds (2/3) of his/her average weekly wage up to the maximum amount payable set for that calendar year. The maximum weekly benefit rate is $546 for disabilities beginning on or after January 1, 2009.

PFL - Q. How much are employees paid while on paid “leave”?

A. 2/3 of employee’s average weekly wage, up to $524/week maximum.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
      X