X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company change of ownership California

Hi,

the company I work for was a joint venture of two large multinationals. These two companies recently merged and the small LLC I worked for was dissolved. Along with most of my colleagues I now work for the merged multinational organization.

I have been employed continuously for over 20 months now, but technically my employer changed due to this organizational restructuring.

Now I am pregnant and since it is only a couple of months that I've been officially employed by the multinational, I am worried I will not qualify for FMLA or California family leave, because I will not have 1250 hours service with my "new" employer by my due date.

Does anyone know how company takeover like this affects the one year/1250 hour employee requirement?

I would very much appreciate your advice while I await the response of my company's HR dept.

Thanks!

It's after 4 in the morning where I am so I'm blanking out on what it's called, but your continuity of employment work in your favor. You don't have to have 1,250 hours (or 12 months) solely with the new entity; the time you were with the LLC will count.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Good news and thanks

Thanks CBG,

I was told today that I do qualify for FMLA! I appreciate your response at such a late hour.

Comment

Just for clarification, the term is "sucessor in interest" and the regs can be found at 29 CFR 825.107. At 4 AM, the term not only escaped me as well, but so did my intention to post this info when I was more alert.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thank you, Elle, that was exactly what I was trying to think of.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
          X