This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wages per pay class

I live in Tennessee and I work for a retailer that is know worldwide. They have made several changes to their pay structure along with other changes. Here is the situation. I work in a division of the store that has three departments. When I was hired in, I was hired for one specific department. However, at times, I have to cover for the other departments, each having different pay classes. Now, instead of simply covering for these departments when they are short handed, I will be regularly scheduled to work in all three departments and receiving the lowest of the three pay classes. Is my employer allowed to do that. Since all three departments are within the same division, it would make since to pay everyone in the division the same since we are regularly scheduled in different departments.

Originally posted by newroc087
    I live in Tennessee and I work for a retailer that is know worldwide. They have made several changes to their pay structure along with other changes. Here is the situation. I work in a division of the store that has three departments. When I was hired in, I was hired for one specific department. However, at times, I have to cover for the other departments, each having different pay classes. Now, instead of simply covering for these departments when they are short handed, I will be regularly scheduled to work in all three departments and receiving the lowest of the three pay classes. Is my employer allowed to do that. Since all three departments are within the same division, it would make since to pay everyone in the division the same since we are regularly scheduled in different departments.
    I'm not sure I understand the question. What rate were you being paid before? Has your pay class been lowered?

Comment

Wages per pay class

I work in Division 24 which has three departments: Meat, Deli, and Seafood. When I was hired I was hired for the meat department, but sometimes I would have to cover Seafood and Deli when these departments are shorthanded. The seafood and deli department employees are paid more per hour than those in the meat department. As it stands now, those who work in the meat department are now being scheduled to work in the deli and seafood departments while still receiving the rate of pay assigned to the meat department. How can I work in three different departments and only receive one rate of pay?

Comment

Okay, now I understand. You're assigned to the meat department at the lower rate of pay, but you have to cover for the seafood and deli departments at the same rate of pay even though those employees are paid at a higher rate.

If you accepted the position at a specific rate of pay and now find that you are being asked to perform duties that warrant another rate of pay, then I would suggest speaking to your supervisor to see if an adjustment may be warranted. I don't think there is anything illegal about what your employer is doing, but if you would like to consult with the Wage-Hour Division, you can call their toll-free information and helpline, available 8am-5pm, at 1-866-4USWAGE (1-866-487-9243). They should be able to advise you further.

Comment

Working...
        X