This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harrassment

I am in a situation at work where I am in somewhat control over my depts. work. Two times I have went to my supervisor to advise him of a situation with other employees regarding talking about each other behind backs, other nitpicking situations. I tried to tell the complaining people to go directly to the supervisor, they will not do it, so in turn I went to him so that he would be aware of the situation, both times he went off on me using the "F" word in every third word. This last time really upset me and I was in tears most of the morning, sick to my stomach and on and on........ Lot's of stress in this dept. due to lack of supervisor input. I have already went to HR with issues regarding the work area and harrassment from the director of that dept. There were three of us with complaints, everything was going okay it seemed as far as getting some sort of help from HR, but the director continuasly harrassed me and I questioned HR with who do I file charges with you or his company? Well the situation was completely turned around on us three complaining employees after that and two of us almost lost our jobs...... So now we have been wiped clean of our lead positon and pay, but not really, the duties are slowly being written into our regual job descriptions....... I can't go back to HR to complain and there is no one in my dept. that can help........ any advice on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated....

Thank you.................

Harrassment in the Workplace

Originally posted by Kimmer
    I am in a situation at work where I am in somewhat control over my depts. work. Two times I have went to my supervisor to advise him of a situation with other employees regarding talking about each other behind backs, other nitpicking situations. I tried to tell the complaining people to go directly to the supervisor, they will not do it, so in turn I went to him so that he would be aware of the situation, both times he went off on me using the "F" word in every third word. This last time really upset me and I was in tears most of the morning, sick to my stomach and on and on........ Lot's of stress in this dept. due to lack of supervisor input. I have already went to HR with issues regarding the work area and harrassment from the director of that dept. There were three of us with complaints, everything was going okay it seemed as far as getting some sort of help from HR, but the director continuasly harrassed me and I questioned HR with who do I file charges with you or his company? Well the situation was completely turned around on us three complaining employees after that and two of us almost lost our jobs...... So now we have been wiped clean of our lead positon and pay, but not really, the duties are slowly being written into our regual job descriptions....... I can't go back to HR to complain and there is no one in my dept. that can help........ any advice on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated....

Thank you.................
    It sounds like you have already taken the first step and followed your company's policy of reporting the instances of the harrassment to your Human Resources Department. Now you need to report the matter in writing to have proof of the date you reported it. Be sure to be specific about the exact nature of the harrassment. Just saying that your supervisor harrassed you isn't enough. Once Human Resources receives your complaint in writing, they will be obligated to follow up on your claim.

As far as filing charges are concerned, be aware that harrassment standing alone is not illegal. Harrassment in the workplace must be based on an illegal factor such as racial harrassment (an employer treats an employee badly because of race) or sexual harrassment (an employer treats an employee badly because of sex or gender). Unfortunately, there is no law against general harrassment or bad treatment of an employee.

If Human Resources does not provide you with a solution, you may want to consider consulting with an employment law attorney for further advice.

Good luck to you!

Comment

Harassment

As an additional followup, if your attempts at getting this resolved with your Human Resources Department are not successful or if the harassment is ongoing and severe, you may want to consider filing a formal complaint with a city, state or federal agency (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). Be aware that retaliation by the employer for a person having filed a complaint or participated in an investigation is also prohibited by law.

Comment

Working...
      X