This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schedule Change

I was recently terminated from a position because I was unable to work a significant schedule change. The situation was this: I worked as a trainer for an outsource call center. We had several clients that were served from our facility. I was assigined to a client that operated 7 to 7 pm. As a result, training classes were typically scheduled either from 7 - 3:30 or 8 - 4:30. I always adjusted my schedule accordingly. Recently we added a new client and I was moved to serve that client. I was told that I was selected becuase I was one of the few who could cover two line groups at the same time. I was sent out of state to train for a couple of weeks. While I was gone, the manager of the out of town office asked that I sit in on a conference call where my manager committed me to a schedule that would regularly require double shifts, from 6:30am to 11:30pm and six day work weeks for as much as 8 weeks at a time. When I advised my manager that I went to school and had family obligations and could not possibly work such a schedule, I was told: "When I can't do the best for you, then I will no longer be here myself." I assummed it was taken care of until I was later told that my schedule had been changed to 3-11 and that I would either work those hours or leave...as the position required flexibility. I was further told that there would be a strong possibility that I might be asked to work those hours for 4 weeks, then different hours after that and that my schooling or outside obligations were not their concern. When I advised that I could not work such hours, I was told how difficult I would be to replace, advised that I was an extremely valuable asset to the team and asked to leave. Do I have a case for wrongful termination? Every review and comment has been glowing...never have I missed a day nor received any type of negative review or comment...
    Last edited by kdollg; 08-26-2005, 06:12 AM.

No, you do not. A wrongful termination means that there is a specific law in place that prohibits an employer from terming you for the reason they did. No law prohibits an employer from terming you for refusing a schedule change. Unless you have a bona fide, enforceable contract that says otherwise (in which case you still do not have a wrongful termination - you have a contract breach) your employer is legally entitled to change your hours as they see fit and business needs require.

Depending on your state law, you may be eligible for unemployment. Go ahead and file, and start looking for a job with the hours you can accomodate.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X