This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up against the Wal

Hello from Alabama. I began working a part-time (second) nonexempt job in 1998 with the world's largest retailer. At the time, the company's policy was that 28 hours a week or more constituted full-time employment. For three years I worked with part-time status, no benefits, while consistently clocking 30-36 hour work weeks. I did not complain, and have no grievance. Eventually, however, the company changed my status to full-time, and my work week leveled off to approx. 32 hours. Soon thereafter, company policy changed to required 34 hours for full time status. I was told, however, that I would be grandfathered in because I had been hired under the old policy.

All was OK until now. The company has now removed all authority for making schedules from its managers and computerized the system, eliminating unique shifts such as mine (6 p.m. - 10 p.m. M-Th/2 p.m. - 8 p.m. Fri./7 a.m. - 3 p.m. Sat.-Sun.) and creating a set, three-shift system. Under this new system which goes into effect Sept. 1, my hours have been cut to 21 hours a week, and I stand to lose (in addition to considerable money) all benefits. Besides quitting, do I have any recourse?

Unless you have a bona fide contract which guarantees you the hours and the shifts you have been working, no, you don't.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Up against the Wal

That's not what I wanted to hear, but it's what I expected! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X