This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n.y.-broken window pay or your fired

I have a friend that was at work , he open the company trucks door and the window broke . Well his boss said that he has to pay for the window or he is fired.Does anyone know if they can make him pay or fire him in n.y. state?

Well, they can legally fire him either way. There's no law prohibiting it. Although it is likely that he would at least qualify for unemployment benefits, if he has enough wages over the qualifying period.

Relative to deducting the damage from his paycheck, no they can't do that without the employee's authorization and unless the deduction is for the employee's benefit.

See the FAQs here: http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerp...dards/faq.shtm
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

n.y.-broken window pay or your fired

can the employer fire you if you dont agree to pay for accidental damage?

Comment

What did I say? Yes, they can. NY (like all other states, except Montana and only in certain situations there) is an "at-will" employment state which means the employer may fire an employee for any legal reason and an employee may quit for any reason at all.

Now, having said that, and they fire him for refusing, he could file a complaint with the NY Dept. of Labor for wrongful termination, as it is against public policy to fire an employee for reporting a violation of his legal rights to the appropriate government agency. It may cost them, but it doesn't mean they "can't" do it.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

n.y.-broken window pay or your fired

thank you for your help.I gave him what you said , so i guess it is up to him! :

Comment

Working...
          X