Working 8 days straight part time (California) California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working 8 days straight part time (California) California

I work in California. I am part time. I am working the next eight days straight without a day off. Granted I work about 3-4 hours for each shift so plenty of time off in the morning and some in the evening. I am worried however, that this might be constructed termination. I got told that I might be let go for poor performance when I've been showing up for my shifts and staying late when I've been asked to. No one else on the schedule (even the managers do not work eight days straight) I've also been asked to clock on early at times, for which I have done. The next eight days straight equal to about 23 hours total. What are my rights as an at will employee for a day off? I want to keep this job and feel like I'm doing a good job and the poor performance part was not elaborated on. This was after expressing some frustration about a coworker (I depend on this coworker for other things related to my work and I felt like they weren't doing a good job since it made me late for something related to my work) and I'm worried that maybe this could be retaliation and they are hoping that by having me work the next eight days straight they hope I might quit? I haven't been with the company for very long but enough to know when someone is being lazy and not doing their job. I'm very frustrated because I feel like I just got my life back together after something that I've been dealing with and so I really can't afford a job loss right now. There are also a few other red flags for which I would be glad to elaborate on in a private message since I fear posting them on here might reveal who I work for. I am currently seeking another job while I still have one.

Outside of a few professions that have safety regulations, no law anywhere entitles any employee to a day off or a certain schedule of any kind.

Comment

Actually, there are a few states (and CA is one of them) that have a one-day-off-in-seven regulation or something similar. But CA's is written in such a way that if you get four days off a month, the rule is satisfied.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

OP - for your review/information.

http://www.law360.com/articles/66209...ay-of-rest-law
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X